Weak knees can lead to injuries and weaker mobility and flexibility. Here is how to bulletproof your knees and regain strength with this single exercise.
Knee pain and weakness is a big problems. This issue becomes even more of a concern as we age.
For this reason, you should be doing everything you can to make your knees strong right now!
Luckily, keeping your knees mobile and functional doesn’t take much. In fact, even just one simple exercise can go a long way toward improving your knee health!
You’ll also like:
Making Your Knees Indestructible
The knees are some of the most important joints of the body.
Along with the hips and ankles, they are responsible for bearing nearly all of our body weight. For this reason, our knees take a beating with every step we take.
Strengthening these key joints is an important fitness goal.
If you don’t prioritize your knee health, you will have a tough time performing just about any exercise.
It’s a good idea to get ahead of any knee issues before they even develop.
You can effectively do this by working with an experienced physical therapist and/or personal trainer to develop a tailor-made “bulletproof knees plan”.
The wall sit is one exercise that many rehab professionals like to prescribe for the purposes of increasing knee strength and decreasing knee pain.
This exercise can be done just about anywhere, by nearly everyone. Plus, this movement can help those who are new to exercise build a strong foundation for more complex exercises down the road.
That being said, there is no “one-size-fits-all” plan when it comes to fitness goals. You should never rely solely on general advice. What works for one person, may not necessarily work for you!
The Wall Sit
Wall sits, also known as wall squats, are an isometric exercise that primarily targets the quadriceps.
The quads are some of the most important muscles for knee health, as they keep the joint strong and stable during movement and activity.
Also, by having strong quads, you can effectively transmit the forces experienced during walking or running through your muscles, as opposed to through your joints.
This is a very good thing that will keep your joints healthy for many years to come!
How to Perform the Wall Sit
- Begin by selecting a smooth, strong wall that can be used for the exercise.
- Next, place your heels against the wall and lean backward so that your back and buttocks are in contact with the wall.
- Then, walk your feet forward slowly, one at a time, as you keep your back and buttocks on the wall.
- Once you’ve walked your feet forward a few feet, slowly start to slide your buttocks down the wall, toward the ground, by bending your knees.
- After reaching a roughly 90-degree knee bend, hold this position for the duration of the exercise.
- Aim for 30 seconds at first, increasing this number as time goes by.
- You’ll start to feel your quads aching and your legs shaking, but this is good! It means that your muscles are really working hard!
The Bottom Line
The wall sit is a great starter exercise which can help to build knee strength and stability. As time goes by, if you continue to work on this movement, you’ll improve your knee health significantly.
This will help you enjoy your time on this earth to the highest degree, even late in life!