There’s nothing more comforting and heart-warming than a cup of hot chocolate by the fireplace.
Especially during those chilly months and cold mornings, it’s a great way to feel all cozy and snuggle with your favorite book.
But if you’re following a low-carb keto diet, you need a keto hot chocolate that’ll meet your macros and satisfy your chocolate cravings.
This means no sugar and no flavored milk, which can add unwanted carbs.
Making keto hot chocolate is somewhat similar to making regular hot chocolate.
You just have to make a few ingredient tweaks to make it a sugar-free, carb-free drink you can enjoy.
Instead of sweetened cocoa powder, you’ll use unsweetened cocoa powder. Additionally, you have to swap your sugar to a keto-friendly sweetener.
But you can still follow the same process of making hot chocolate, and I use the traditional, very classic method.
I use the stovetop method, in which you warm up your milk and cacao in a small saucepan over medium heat.
Heat over medium/medium-low heat, whisking frequently, until warm (but not boiling).
Whisk constantly until the cocoa powder mixes well into the milk. Whisk in vanilla extract, and serve immediately. Voila!
You may also like:
Keto Hot Chocolate
To make this delicious, rich chocolate milk, grab the ingredients and a small saucepan.
Combine 2 tbsp of milk with the sweetener and cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low or low and whisk together until cocoa is dissolved.
Add the rest of the milk and whisk occasionally until the milk is warm. Don’t let it boil. Turn off the heat before the milk starts boiling.
Adjust the sweetness with the keto sugar and enjoy warm!
Keto Hot Chocolate
This rich heart-warming keto Hot Chocolate Recipe is sugar-free, gluten-free, and low in carbs. It tastes just as good as Starbucks hot chocolate minus the carbs and sugar. Only 5 ingredients to make it.
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp keto-friendly sugar, such as Swerve
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/2 cup Whipped cream, for serving
- Add 2 tbsp of milk and cocoa powder and keto sweetener into a small saucepan. Heat over medium-low heat and whisk until all the sweetener and cocoa powder are resolved.
- Add the rest of the milk and continue to whisk until hot, but not boiling. Before it begins to boil, remove it from the heat.
- Stir in vanilla if using and pour into a mug. Garnish with whipped cream on top and enjoy immediately while it's warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 23mgSodium: 5mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 4g