This fiery and flavor-bursting Kung Pao Chicken is a healthy Chinese dish that packs a punch.
It’s a lighter and gluten-free version of the popular classic Chinese Kung Pao Chicken. With a few smart tweaks in ingredients, it’s made miraculously low-carb and healthy.
With just under 200 calories and 10 grams of carbs per serving, it’s a low-carb dinner you can enjoy without the guilt.
Granted, Chinese takeouts are undeniably satisfying, satiating, and convenient. They make weeknight dinners a breeze, keeping the whole family fed and happy.
But we all know, that many stir-fry dishes like this Kung Pao Chicken typically come greasy. They can also be quite unhealthy with excess sodium and unhealthy oils.
You may also like:
If you are eating clean, yet craving this popular Chinese stir-fry dish, this is the recipe for you.
This low-carb Kung Pao Chicken recipe is quick and ready in 30 minutes or less. It’s also full of original and classic flavors with fiery heat.
Best of all, it’s one quick and easy Chinese chicken dish you feel good about feeding your family.
To add, it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, Paleo, low-carb, and keto-friendly.
It’s a perfect low-carb family dinner everyone would love!
If you love spicy food, this chicken dish packs a fiery punch and you’ll love the savory heat.
When serving to the kids in the house, you may want to hold back a bit on the dried chiles!
Fiery or not, this Chinese takeout dish will be a hit amongst your family!
Kung Pao Chicken
This homemade Kung Pao chicken recipe is spicy, sweet, and tangy. Better than the panda express version.
- 1/4 cup unsweetened sake (or sherry)
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce (tamari for gluten-free, coconut aminos for Paleo)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into scant 1-inch chunks
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp fresh ginger, finely chopped and peeled
- 1 tbsp fresh garlic, finely chopped and peeled
- 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- 3 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 whole chiles de Arbol
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, for garnishing
- fresh cilantro chopped, for garnishing
- Whisk together the sake, soy sauce, and corn starch in a large bowl. Add chicken and marinade. Cover and chill for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium-high. Add the ginger, garlic, onions, and bell pepper. Cook for 2- 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken to the wok and the marinade sauce. Stir occasionally and cook for additional 3-5 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Add in peanut and green onions. Stir in balsamic vinegar and chilies. Cook for 2 minutes and stir to let the sauce spread and coat every chicken. Garnish with sesame seeds, cilantro, and more peanuts. Serve with cauliflower rice or with steamed vegetables.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 641mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 12g